Sunday, September 14, 2008

News from Vinca (Showalter) LaFleur

Vinca was nice enough to send in the following note:

"I write from Washington DC, where I've lived since 1988 -- came here to get an MA from SAIS and somehow never left. I worked on Capitol Hill for five years, then became a foreign policy speechwriter -- first for Secretary of State Warren Christopher, then for President Clinton. Now I'm a partner at a firm called West Wing Writers, together with four of my Clinton White House speechwriting colleagues. It's been an unexpected career for someone who majored in French, but one that has allowed to combine the things I always loved most -- writing and international affairs. And Washington has proven a wonderful place to live these past two decades (though it's hard to believe I've been here that long!); I married my high school sweetheart Dave LaFleur in 1997 and we've got two great kids, son Jack (10) and daughter Evan (8).

Needless to say, there are lots of Yalies in DC too -- but I always enjoy reading the class notes about people I haven't seen in a while. I especially appreciated Yuka Manabe's latest report -- she and I attended high school together as well as Yale, and I am impressed but not surprised to know she is doing such great things."

No comments: