Monday, September 28, 2009

And the news keeps pouring in . . .

Thanks to the overwhelming response to my recent request for information, we have even more news to report:

Karen Homsy Horst writes in: "Hi Tim, I live near Denver, CO am married and we have two children: Nick (age 13y) and Isabel (age 9y). I have a private psychiatry practice specializing in women's psychiatry (esp. around childbirth/miscarriage etc.) and am in my fourth year of psychoanalytic training. I had a great family trip to Costa Rica this summer. Does that count? Tracy Burke lives nearby and we get together occasionally."

Dennis Blackwell had an update. He recently finished a production singing the title role in "The Marriage of Figaro" in the Berkshires. and received positive reviews. Next up, productions of Mozart's "La clemenza di Tito" and the New York premiere of Cesar Cui's "A Feast in the Time of Plague", a setting of Pushkin's short story. For more info, visit www.dennisblackwell.com. Dennis and his partner Gabriel celebrated the fifth anniversary of their commitment ceremony this past August.

Peter Olszowka writes: "Despite spending most of my time in the theater at Yale, I've spent almost no time there since until this past weekend where I was sound designer of the world premier of "Never After" at the Somerville Theater near Boston, MA."

Kim Means-Guarnaccia sent this note: "Last week I was hired on as associate publisher and art director of the Shelburne Falls Independent newspaper in Shelburne Falls, MA. In the meantime I am living near Keene, NH and dating a musician/actor in Holyoke, MA. "

Paul Doiron had an interesting experience lately. He was guiding a Maine fishing trip and tried to have some fun by calling in a territorial bull moose by imitating another bull moose's calls. Fortunately, we were able to scramble back into the pickup before the angry moose trampled us all to death.

Laurent Stanevich had a quick update: "Living in Ann Arbor, MI with Jill and our two boys, and working in interactive marketing in Columbus, OH. My agency (Shift Global) just had a great outdoor party with live music, BBQ and a bonfire. "

Kathy Graff sent a note that reinforces why we need to do a class tailgate . . . something needs to be done here:

Funny Tim that I should receive your e-mail today. I actually have Yale-related activity on which to report.Yesterday I convinced my family what a blast it would be to go to the Yale-Cornell game. So off we went to New Haven as I treated them to a medley of Yale cheers and regaled them with my student experiences at Yale football games. (I believe I attended every Yale home game during my four years, which is definitely not to say I actually watched them). I told them how clever and politically on point the band is and how much spirit the students have.Well, my only memory that was correct or is the same today is of the Yale Bowl bathrooms.

The student section was sparse and the cheers were not so spirited. We sat in the alumni area in a sea of men in tweed jackets (when does that happen I wonder, when men determine a tweed blazer is football game attire? My husband swears you're bred that way or you're not.) The actual football was HORRIBLE. My family decided we're sticking with the NFL.The band's big clever jokes were based on the use of the words "balls" and "penetration". It's entirely possible I thought this was a hoot once upon a time. Today, not so much.I know I sound really negative, but it actually was fun and a worthwhile experience; the Yale Bowl is an historic place.

The day improved dramatically with our stop at Pepe's pizza. Living in New Yorkand being a bit of a foodie, I thought I had experienced the height of pizza. Not the case, Pepe's redefines the genre. It was outrageously fantastic. At first my husband was a little put out by the menu, not a lettuce leaf in sight to start. I actually heard the waitress tell a woman at the next table that if she wanted lemon with her drink she needed to bring her own. No matter the pizza absolves them. I'm still thinking about it, a lot.

Carl Zimmer wrote in: "'m living in Guilford, CT, with my wife Grace and daughters Charlotte (8) and Veronica (5). I've just started teaching a class on writing about science at Yale. "

John Sylvain is living in Los Angeles enjoying the beach with his 8 year old son Yogi and his wife Shelley. Recently had dinner with David Baron '87 and his family.

Doug Allen writes: "Living and working outside Hartford, CT at a boarding school with my wife Amy and two children 8 and 3. Looking forward to going to New Haven this coming weekend for the 100th anniversary of the Whiffenpoofs."

No comments: