Sunday, November 22, 2009

A note from Mirem Villamil

Mirem Villamil wrote in with the following:

I'm finally en route to a new career after years of dealing with the immense change in priorities that comes with becoming a mom. I live in Brooklyn, NYC, have 2 daughters, ages 6 and 2, and at some point quit my job doing corporate set design (car shows, product launches etc.) in order to design gardens. I am now dedicated to creating gardens for public schools - designing them is a fairly minor part of the process as the real trick is to integrate them into the curriculum, the culture and the life of the school. Happily, all that is happening at my older daughter's school since we now have 15 classes gardening once or twice a week on a regular schedule as well as other classes that come out occasionally. We served school-grown salad in the lunchroom for our Garden to Cafe Day... and the kids loved it. How to get kids to eat arugula? Pound it into pesto right out there in the garden, and serve up on bread slices with parmesan shavings on top.

Needless to say - I'm having a great time! And please contact me if you're doing anything along the same lines, would love to hear about it (mirem.villamil@gmail.com).

No comments: