Saturday, March 6, 2010

The New, New Happiness

Classmate Abigail Pogrebin has written an interesting blog post about happiness. (To access it, please click on the title to this post.)

Abigail writes:

I didn't know how unhappy I was until I read the latest books about happiness. These epistles suddenly seemed to be on every shelf, in every book review: roadmaps for gratitude, journeys toward joy, research on what makes us buoyant, analyses of what gets us down. I'd stumble out of Barnes and Noble feeling drunk with inadequacy: why wasn't I improving myself today?

Abigail goes on to discuss happiness with authors who have written about happiness. Please check out her post at the attached link.

This seems to be a class theme, as Tamar Gendler will be speaking at the Women at Yale celebration about "Five Ancient Secrets to Modern Happiness" -- What can ancient philosophy and contemporary cognitive science teach us about human flourishing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How appropriate a topic for our days, Happy Harkness! I truly feel that, in this period of our lives, we are in a vortex that allows us to put perspective on the past and new glasses for the future. One of the pleasures for me of leaving the corporate world has been to re evaluate what is important for me and what I want to do in my life, in close synergy with my wife and family. The focus is back! Thanks for putting happiness in the spotlight Tim and Abby!