Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A word about Yale Day of Service from Nicky Grist

Nicky Grist wrote a great note about the upcoming Yale Day of Service:

For last year's "day" I spent a couple hours at Street Wise Partners (www.streetwisepartners.org ). I was so impressed that I volunteered for another evening, and then weekly for two semesters.

In brief, it's an intensive mentoring program for low-income job seekers. Many of the job-seekers are educated and skilled but have obstacles such as spotty work histories, recent (legal) arrival in the U.S., intense shyness, etc.

Because of the program's origins on Wall Street and in social networks, the mentors are overwhelmingly 20-somethings who work in Finance. In my opinion, the program could use some more diversity among its mentors, and our class has some to offer. Any classmates who are curious and want to know more before signing up can contact me at nickygrist@nyc.rr.com.

No comments: