Friday, May 28, 2010

A Classmate's New Blog -- The Lunch Tray

I received the following note from classmate Bettina Elias Siegel. Check out her new blog --- http://www.thelunchtray.com/:



Hey Tim:

I just launched a new blog and wanted to share with the class.

First, a little background on me and where I've been for the last (good god) 23 years. I graduated from Harvard Law in 1991, where I cleverly managed to never once cross paths with Barack Obama (but did have the good fortune to meet my husband, Martin Siegel). After graduating, I practiced advertising, intellectual property and regulatory law in New York for about a decade, starting at Skadden, Arps, then moving on to Marvel Comics and then at Unilever United States.

I quit the law ten years ago, just after the birth of our daughter, and we also now have a son (turning eight years old today, as a matter of fact). Then, a few years ago, I started writing - both on my own on-going projects and as a freelancer for national magazines like Parents, SELF, and Reform Judaism. Writing was the only thing I really enjoyed about practicing law and I'm thrilled to be doing it now on a regular basis.

And that leads me to my new blog, The Lunch Tray (www.thelunchtray.com). I've had a longstanding interest in food, nutrition and the health of our nation's children. I was also recently appointed to an advisory committee for public school food services here in Houston, where I now live. There's so much to say about this topic and clearly a lot of interest out there (see, e.g., Jaime Oliver's recent "Food Revolution" series) so I took the plunge this week and launched the site. To my utter amazement I've been getting hundreds of page hits right off the bat and we already have a lively debate going on about issues like whether it's OK to bring birthday cupcakes to school and how to improve the clearly broken school lunch system.

I'd love to have my Yale '87 classmates join in the conversation! Please stop by The Lunch Tray and if you like what you see there, spread the word.

Bettina Elias Siegel, Pierson '87

No comments: