Sunday, September 9, 2012

Jonathan Becker's Team in Training in Honor of Classmate James Esseks


Here is a note I received from my Freshman Year Roommate, Jonathan Becker.  Please read it and consider supporting his efforts -- 

Dear Friends:

Would you consider sponsoring me for a triathlon to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society?  If that’s all you needed to hear, click here to donate.  Or read on …

My personal connection to this issue is really about two lawyers.  The first is my good college friend James Esseks, who inspires me with his work as director of the American Civil Liberties Union’s Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender & AIDS Project.  He is in remission from non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.  A few years back, I was shocked to hear he had cancer.  I am so grateful that he is well now, because he is a close friend and I admire how he and his team help good people wanting very basic things about family and work.
The other lawyer was my grandfather, Harry Becker.  He too had non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma but died when I was seven years old.  I remember him as tremendously sweet, loving, and funny.  I often wish I could just spend a day with Grandpa Harry now.

Why James is surviving his cancer, while Grandpa Harry did not, I have to believe has to do with the amazing research done in the years between.  So it’s important to support ongoing research and care.
So what about the triathlon?  Many of you know that I enjoy cycling, and I also run some.  Swimming is another story – I have never been good at it.  So I am rising at 5:00am three days a week for a Masters swimming group and also swimming on my own.  I am making slow and steady progress; when I started, I was winded after one lap in the pool.  With the Team in Training practices added, I am working out 5-7 days a week.  It’s hard work, but I’m enjoying it.

About the beneficiary of your gift, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS):
-          LLS researchers helped develop half of all new cancer drugs approved by the FDA in the last decade.  Many of the treatments also are used to treat other cancers and diseases such as stomach cancer, diabetes and multiple sclerosis.
-         
L    LLS's patient services programs include education, support groups and financial aid for patients and their families.  If you can imagine what it’s like to hear you have cancer, to get immediate help is so important.
-          It was rated a top non-profit on 2011 by Philanthropedia.

My mother had polio as a child and it affects her to this day.  I know when she was young and contracted it, people were terrified of polio.  Now we don’t fear it.  I only hope we can reach the same point with cancer.  We have all been touched by cancer in some way, and we can all be part of the solution.

I hope you’ll donate, because it helps so many people and it will inspire me to work harder.  Please click here to go to my fundraising page.

With love and thanks,
Jonathan

No comments: