Saturday, September 15, 2012

News from Courtney Walsh

Here is a note I received from Courtney Walsh (I added the pictures).  Check out her upcoming shows!


Hey there! I haven't sent in an update in forever. Long time no see - I hated missing reunion but was in rehearsal. (I took 15 years away from acting to be a children's attorney in abuse cases, but returned to theater about six years ago.) I am currently in Athens for three weeks performing in a stage version of the Odyssey called "The Wanderings of Odysseus." Greece may be struggling, but its culture is still inspiring. This production originated two years ago at Stanford Summer Theater (a professional rep company affiliated with Stanford - the Artistic Director is a professor of both Drama and Classics). the Michael Cacoyannis Foundation is producing it here, and we will end with another run at Stanford. In addition to the performances, we conduct open rehearsals, offer a seminar on our staging this epic poem, and teach acting workshops. The students here (mostly professional Greek actors) have inspired us with their commitment, openness and enthusiasm. And, of course, being in Greece and learning from Greek theater artists about their own relationship to ancient storytelling has been illuminating to me, having performed in five Greek dramas in the past few years. This has been an uplifting cultural exchange of the best kind. My eleven year old considers himself the dramaturg as he knows all things about mythology. My other three kids are merely amused at my Calypso and mortified by my Cyclops. Husband Peter is the rock that allows me to go on tour and keep the home front together while battling the dragons of corporate law.  

Courtney Walsh 
http://courtneywalsh.net 

 Appearing in CURSE OF THE STARVING CLASS
Pigott Theater July 19 - August 12
http://www.summertheater.stanford.edu 

 Appearing in THE WANDERINGS OF ODYSSEUS
Athens, Greece August 23 - Sept 16, The Nitery at Stanford Sept 25 - Oct 5 

 Appearing in the film THE TRACK
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Track/232395616831244

No comments: