Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve

Growing up, my parents had a group of friends whose families were woven into the life of our family -- these families would join us for holidays, meet at parades, hang out during the summers, and come to parties.  I learned eventually that this group, and an even wider circle of friends, were my Dad's college friends.  So, when I went out East to college, one of my expectations was that I would graduate with a degree, some knowledge and with a group of life-long friends.    That was, after all, just how I thought the world worked.

This year has been a tough year for my Dad's group of friends -- in the last few months, we have lost Uncle Hugh, Uncle Clay and another Uncle Bob.  Each loss has meant another trip to old pictures from my childhood (and our wedding, where they all gathered) and a little reflection on just how remarkable having a group of friends like this is.  As I have aged, I have come to know just how rare and special the close bonds that our families had; they are really something to be cherished.

I think about my Dad's group of friends one more time today, as we prepare for Christmas Eve.  My Dad will be here, along with my sister and her husband.  And, the Sarkozi family will be here, too.  One of my Morse suitemates and his family will join us around the table, around the piano and around the fire to celebrate another year together.  We will cherish that bond all the more as we remember our classmate, Siobhan, and our friends scattered around the world.

As you celebrate the holidays and usher in the New Year, please think about those from our class who have meant something important to you.  Give them call.  Shoot them an e-mail.  Even if you haven't spoken in a while, don't worry about it.  They would love to hear from you.  The bonds we forged together all those years ago still exist.

Happy Holidays and Joyous New Year!


No comments: